COSO 2013: The Sequel - 8 CPEs
Internal Control Focused Events
Find Next CPE Event Now
CPE Internal Controls Training Courses for the IIA member, CPA, CFE and CISA. Best source for real world COSO and Cybersecurity training workshops
A Practical Approach to COSO 2013
The COSO Committee's "Internal Control - Integrated Framework" (ICIF) is one of the accepted standards for implementing and assessing a system of internal controls for companies which are subject to SEC reporting. This framework has also proven to be a useful approach to internal controls in many different organizations that do not have a SEC compliance requirement.
This CPE event covers the principles-based COSO approach to a system of internal controls. COSO 2013 defines internal controls as being within five components, seventeen principles with eighty-seven points of focus. The education process covers the interrelationships presented within the COSO framework and how to approach the classification of controls within the framework.
Corporate Compliance Seminars has been involved in the design, implementation and assessment of internal controls for over 20 years. We have conducted audits and trained thousands of auditors, compliance professionals, IT personnel, executives and Audit Committees in the "textbook" and real-world approaches to managing risk. Our CPE events are taught by auditors and business directors who understand the daily challenges of compliance.
Unlike other CPE events, ours takes the ICIF model and its principles "out of the clouds" and down to "ground zero". We "harden up" the "soft controls" by presenting tangible, auditable evidence of the COSO processes. You will able to apply the COSO updates to specific methods of improvement for your control and compliance program. You will increase your personal value and the value of your compliance processes. This seminar will start the process of positioning an organization to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Sections 302 and 404.
Our seminars are as entertaining as they are informative. Sit back and enjoy; be engaged and educated in a casual atmosphere of information exchange. We will not bore you!
This eight-hour CPE course provides you with a more in-depth look at how to implement controls that are consistent with the COSO 2013 Framework. It covers the Who - What - Why - Where - How to Control. We look at the principles-based approach presented by the COSO Components, Principles and Points of Focus.
This CPE event is for business professionals. Attendees are not required to have a detailed knowledge of operations, risks, controls, auditing, compliance or the COSO framework. However, by the end of the class, you will absorb an understanding of these areas, as well as how to apply the updated COSO controls and principles to your organization and your audits.
Links to details on this internal control training course:
. CPE Event Highlights
. Course Learning Objectives
. Key Issues on the Course Agenda
The retail cost of this CPE event is $495.00 for the first attendee from a single organization. Discounts are available for more than one attendee from each organization: (2) $940.00 (3) $1,340.00 (4) $1,680.00 (5) $1,980.00.
To reserve your space, click on the "SIGN-UP NOW!" link in the right margin, complete the registration form and use the corresponding "Submit Registration Form and Move to Payment Options Page" button for filing the registration and moving to the payment page.
Each attendee will receive 8 CPE Hours (YB). A certificate of completion will be provided.
Program Level of Understanding: Basic
Advance Preparation: None
Delivery Format: Group Internet Based
NASBA Field(s) of Study: Auditing
CPE Credits: 8, based on 50 minutes of instruction per hour
Our instructors are experts in risk management, auditing, corporate accounting, executive management, information technology and CPA firm operations. Our goal is to provide expert advice on COSO ERM, COSO, FDICIA, COBIT, NIST, ITIL, CMMI, FCPA, PCAOB standards, AICPA standards and cyber risk management.
Corporate Compliance Seminars is licensed by the AICPA to provide COSO 2013 training.
Online COSO 2013: The Sequel Events
Future In-Person COSO 2013: The Sequel Events
In response to the Coronavirus Pandemic, we will start providing all our events using a distant learning approach.
In some cities we have local instructors and are providing limited events on a request basis. If you have two or three professionals who would like in person instruction please contact us.
Day - Date
Refer to our Seminar Cities Index for a list of our seminar locations. The individual city
pages provide a listing of topics being presented. Our Seminar Cities by Week provides a
guide to the locations during a calendar week.
COSO 2013 Related Documents
Link to purchase the four volumesof the COSO Internal Control Framework 2013
COSO Internal Control - Integrated Framework - Executive Summary
COSO's 2013 Internal Control Framework in Depth by BKD
IMPACT of the 2013 COSO FRAMEWORK by Financial Executives Research Foundation
COSO Internal Control - Integrated Framework (2013) by KPMG
The 2013 COSO Framework & SOX Compliance by Stephan McNally
The Updated COSO Internal Control Framework by Protiviti (Third Edition
top of page
Benefits of Attending
- Review how COSO 2013 is structured
- Understand the mapping of COSO 1992 to COSO 2013
- Know the key changes between COSO 1992 and COSO 2013
- Review the implications for Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and Section 404 and 302 attestations
- See the benefits and challenges of the new framework
- Know how to approach the weaknesses in the COSO 2013
top of page
CPE Event Highlights
- The Components of COSO
- Logic presented by the COSO Components
- The structure used to describe the COSO Framework
- Principles are now present in the COSO Framework
- The importance of the "Points of Focus"
- How to gage the effectiveness of internal controls
- How to build a "Culture of Compliance
top of page
Course Learning Objectives
- Defining "internal control framework" within an organization
- Describing the COSO 2013 Framework and its documents to management
- Positioning attendees to begin planning their conversion to COSO 2013
- Understanding the gaps and shortcomings in COSO 2013
top of page
Key Issues on the Course Agenda
Section 1 - History of the COSO Committee
- Myths about controls
- Treadway Report
- Enforcing a strong SEC
Section 2 - The COSO "ICFR" - Then and Now
- How effective is our compliance?
- SEC requires "ICFR"
- What is COSO 2013?
- Summary of COSO 2013 Updates
- COSO guidance
- Definitions of internal control
- Effectiveness of internal control
Section 3 - "Top-Down" vs. "Control Based" Assessment
- Original COSO pyramid
- PCAOB Auditing Standard 5
- "Top-Down" Assessment Methodology
- COSO 2013 clarifications
Section 4 - Sarbanes-Oxley Act and SEC Guidance
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act
- Audit Committee Issues
- SEC Guidance for Public Companies
- Entity-level controls
- Categories of deficiencies
Section 5 - Impact of PCAOB Alert #11
- Risk assessment and the audit of internal control
- Selecting controls to audit
- Testing management review controls
- IT considerations
- Roll forward of controls
- Using the work of others
- Evaluating identified control deficiencies
Section 6 - Entity-Level - Risk Assessment
- Specifies suitable objectives
- Identifies and analyses risk
- Assesses fraud risk
- Significant change
Section 7 - Entity-Level - Control Environment
- Integrity and ethical values
- Oversight responsibilities
- Structure, authority and responsibility
- Commitment to competence
- How to build a "Culture of Compliance"
Section 8 - Entity-Level: Supporting Components
- Control activities
- Information and communication
- Whistleblower controls
- Monitoring activities
Section 9 - Business Process Documentation
- Categorizing controls
- Business process documentation
Section 10 - Going Forward
top of page
Internal Control & CPA Focused Training Seminars
Corporate Compliance Seminars presents two families of professional continuing education (CPE) seminars:
Internal Control & CPA Focused Training Seminars (Details)
Internal Auditor Focused Training Seminars (Details)
The internal control seminars we present can benefit a variety of attendees:
- Non-accelerated filers who may just be getting their documentation underway for Section 404 compliance,
- Public companies looking to improve their effectiveness and efficiency of their Section 404 compliance,
- Nonprofit organizations, governmental agencies and other groups that want to improve the integration of their governance, risk and compliance (GRC) efforts,
- Executives and Board of Directors members who can gain insights from our "Best Practices" examples to really understand SOX Section 404,
- Anyone finds practical advice from our real-world experience with the implementation of internal controls over financial reporting (ICFR).
The internal audit seminars we present can benefit a variety of attendees:
- The new internal auditor can be oriented to the profession and the work,
- Auditors looking for improvements in their approach and knowledge,
- Professionals looking to improve the content of their workpapers and the impact of audit reports,
- Any organization that desires to improve the effectiveness of their internal audit department,
- Audit Managers looking for education concerning current audit issues,
- Practical advice based on our real-world experience with being the auditee, an internal auditor and an external auditor.
Experts Providing Internal Audit Training Events
Corporate Compliance Seminars (CCS) was created by experts who enjoy providing CPE training events. All our experts have years of experience in providing training courses, workshops and consulting on internal controls, internal auditing, information technology, cybersecurity and accounting related subjects. We have focused on SOX, COSO, PCAOB, COBIT, CMMI, GRC, GAAP, IFRS, AICPA, GAO, NAIC, ISO, and IIA Standards. We are your best source for continuing professional education (CPE).
Our programs, live in-person, webinar and on-demand, provide CPE for professionals with CPA, CGA, CIA, CFE, CISA, CMA and CA designations. CCS is focused on providing the best learning programs in using three distinct distribution channels: live in-person events, online webinar events and on-demand self-study e-learning.
Corporate Compliance Seminars presents CPE to a range of professionals, auditors, accountants, finance staff, compliance personnel, information technology (IT) professionals, Boards of Directors and Audit Committees. We examine the details of risk management, Sarbanes-Oxley Act compliance, Model Audit Rule (MAR) compliance, auditing, internal controls, cybersecurity and compliance, and fraud prevention and detection.
Within the U.S.A. marketplace, Corporate Compliance Seminars allows the attendee to earn NASBA CPE credit.
Our events focus on the details of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX), Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR), Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO) Internal Control Frameworks, ISACA's Control Objectives over Information Technology (COBIT), Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL), Open Compliance & Ethics Group's (OCEG) Governance, Risk & Compliance (GRC) methodology, PCAOB's Auditing Standard 5 (AS5), AICPA auditing standards, and NAIC regulatory model regulations and acts .
Our live in-person events are generally presented in a small classroom setting with two to five attendees. Over the last few weeks, we have come to the understand we need to provide distant e-learning events. We are now in the process of moving all our content to an online available status. We have created distant e-learning opportunities using both a online webinar event approach and on-demand e-learning self-study modules. These two e-learning approaches: webinars and on-demand self-study with extended web access to our content into the global continuing professional development (CPD) marketplace. In the webinar e-learning events we will limit the number of students to maximize the interaction between the live instructor and attendees. The on-demand self-study e-learning modules will be created and offered to meet the NASBA CPE credit requirements .
Our seminars provide CPE for the CPA, CFE, CIA, CISA, auditors and others with effective and engaging internal audit training courses.
Our instructors have had direct experience in the following industries: financial activities, bank, insurance, healthcare, construction, leisure and hospitality, professional and business services, mining and oil & gas extraction, manufacturing, educational, government agencies, transportation, software, technical, hi-tech and agricultural.
top of page